The First True-Color Wide-Field Confocal Scanner
The first true color scanning ophthalmoscope
EIDON is the first system to combine the advantages of SLO with the fidelity of true color imaging, setting new performance standards in retinal imaging. EIDON provides unsurpassed image quality, a 60° field in a single exposure, a unique, live, confocal view of the retina, three different imaging modalities, and dilation-free operation, all integrated into a versatile system that provides new opportunities in retinal diagnostics.
The device is operated via a tablet with a multi-touch, high-resolution color display; it works with a dedicated software application and serves as a standalone unit. A joystick is provided when manual operation of the device is desired.
Confocal vs. non-confocal imaging
Enhancement of confocal Image Quality
SLO systems are superior to conventional fundus cameras in many ways, as they exploit a confocal imaging principle that limits the effect of backscattered light from deeper layers and provides enhanced image quality. Another significant advantage of SLO systems is that they operate with much smaller pupils than conventional fundus cameras.
However, SLO systems do not provide color images, as they typically employ multiple monochromatic laser sources, resulting in black-and-white or pseudo-color images.
Unlike existing SLO systems, EIDON is a scanning ophthalmoscope that uses WHITE light instead of monochromatic lasers, hence providing true color imaging and offering significant benefits in fidelity to real retinal appearance, no distortion, and dilation-free operation.
The importance of white-light confocal imaging
This technology facilitates diagnosing and monitoring retinal diseases such as diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, and glaucoma. EIDON improves retinal diagnostics capabilities in that it offers:
- A greater contrast than a traditional fundus camera
- Preserved image quality in the presence of media opacities such as cataract
- High-resolution images
- No dilation down to 2.5 mm pupil
- No optic disc bleaching
- No saturation of the red channel like in traditional fundus cameras
The unique combination of confocal imaging and white light illumination offers superior image quality and color fidelity. Using white light, the retina appears as it looks when directly observed, as the entire visible spectrum is present in the captured image.
Wide field imaging
- Wide-field optics allow imaging of the central retina as well as the periphery.
- Infrared, live viewing of a wide field (out to 110°) is possible using the programmable internal fixation target.
- The fixation target can be displaced directly on the touch screen to frame different fields.
- An external fixation target is provided, for use in the counter lateral eye: 150° can be reached in manual mode.
Multiple Imaging Modalities
Multiple confocal imaging modalities – true color, red-free, infrared – provide specific information concerning different layers.
- Red-free is helpful to enhance the visibility of the retinal vasculature and retinal nerve fiber layer
- Infrared (825 – 870 nm) provides information corresponding to deeper layers (choroid)
- True color is obtained using white illumination (440 – 650 nm)
Multiple Control Modes
From fully automated to fully manual mode and everything in between.
Intuitive commands provide total flexibility during use, ranging from fully-automated control to manual operation.
It is possible to stop the automatic alignment and switch to manual mode using the joystick, while auto-focusing can be combined with manual adjustment.
Manual mode allows:
- Override of the auto-alignment function
- Override of the auto-focusing function
- Placement of the fixation target at any position
- Override of the auto-capture function
The automatic mode includes:
- Auto-alignment of the instrument to the patient’s pupil
- Automatic focusing to correct for spherical refraction (-12D +15D)
- Automatic exposure and capture of single or multiple fields in single or dual modality (color and/or infrared)
Connectivity Anytime Everywhere
EIDON offers embedded capabilities for Internet and network connectivity, both wired and WI-Fi, for remote data viewing and secure data backup.
Enhancing patient comfort and practice workflow
- User-friendly software interface
- It takes no time to learn how to use
- Fully automated
- Compact device (no need for external computer)
- Exam time is less than one minute per eye (single field)
- High-resolution Tablet
|Class and type of applied part
1, B (according to EN 60601-1)
IP classification: IPX0 (according to the degree of protection provided by the enclosure concerning harmful penetration of particulate matter or water)